For additional information see our blog post: The Reality of Orders of Protection

According to Arkansas law, courts may issue an order of protection in cases where there are allegations of domestic violence or there is an imminent threat of violence. There are two types of Orders of Protection – criminal and civil. Civil orders of protection are domestic relations cases and involve persons who are related by blood or marriage, are in a romantic relationship, live in the same home, or are the parents of a child.

If you or someone in your home is the victim of threats or domestic violence, you may be able to obtain an order of protection against the alleged offender. You should contact an attorney to determine if you can obtain an Order of Protection. Orders of Protection may also be filed on an emergency basis, and you should contact your local sheriff’s office or prosecutor’s office for more information to obtain an Ex Parte Emergency Order of Protection.

If you have been served with an Ex Parte Emergency Order of Protection in a domestic matter, you need to act quickly to contact an attorney to protect your rights. The order will prohibit you from having contact with the alleged victims and may also restrict you from the locations where the alleged victims may be, including places of employment, schools, and even your own home.

Ordinarily, a hearing will take place in court within 30 days from the date that the petition is filed. At the hearing, the judge will determine whether there is a continuing danger and whether the order should continue. You will need to be present at the hearing for the judge to hear your side of the story. If a Final Order of Protection is entered against you, there may be negative impacts for your job and other areas of your life. In addition to any personal contact restrictions ordered, you will also be prohibited from possessing any firearms.

A violation of an Order of Protection may result in your arrest and additional charges against you.

Orders of Protection should be taken seriously. You need an experienced attorney who understands the law to advise and guide you through this process. Our attorneys are knowledgeable of the law and experienced in handling these cases.  Please feel free to contact our office at 501-296-9999 today for your free consultation.

Links and Resources:


   Evaluations FAQs

   False Allegations FAQs