You might need to petition for guardianship if you have a loved one, either a minor child or an incapacitated adult, who is not being cared for properly or who needs assistance. A legal guardian is a person who has the legal authority (and the corresponding duty) to care for the personal and property interests of another person, called a ward.

When parents are unable to take care of a child, or when that child becomes the victim of child neglect or abuse, guardianship may be an option to help protect the child. In addition, if children are in state custody, grandparents or other relatives may sometimes ask to have the children placed in their homes instead of foster homes.

We also help our clients create guardianships for incompetent or incapacitated adults, like the elderly, developmentally disabled adults, or those who suffer from mental illness. When a loved one requires legal and physical guidance for their own safety, or is incapable of administering his or her own affairs, a guardianship can be the best way to protect them.

Links and Resources:

Arkansas Child Custody Laws & Visitation

Arkansas Child Support, Support Modification and Enforcement FAQs

Evaluations FAQs

       More Links Coming Soon!